Frequently asked questions

Frequently asked questions

  • Where can I consult the Personal Data Processing Policies Handbook of the University?

    The Personal Data Processing Policy Handbook of the University of  Andes can be consulted at:

  • If I have questions about my personal data, the processing carried out by the University or if I want to modify, rectify or delete my information, who and by what means can I contact?

    You can contact the Data Protection Officer of the University through This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. e-mail
  • Can I process data of minors within the University?

    Yes; however, keep in mind that the data of minors must be processed with the aim of achieving the protection and the integral and harmonious development of children and adolescents, and to carry out the processing of the data, express authorization issued by their parents or legal representatives is required.
  • Can I have contracts, agreements, among others, that involve the processing of personal data with entities outside of Colombia? What should I take into account?

    Yes, three (3) scenarios are considered for the international transfer of personal data:
    1. The host country offers an adequate level of protection, in accordance with the standards set by the Superintendence of Industry and Commerce. (External Notice No. 005 of August 10, 2017, issued by the SIC).
    2. The transfer operation is framed within the exceptions established by article 26 of Law 1581 of 2012.
    3. The Superintendence of Industry and Commerce issues a declaration of conformity.
  • Which entity monitors that the University of los Andes complies with the implementation of the Personal Data Protection Law and guarantees the exercise of the right of Habeas Data?

    In accordance with the provisions of article 19 of Law 1581 of 2012, the Superintendence of Industry and Commerce, through the Delegation for the Protection of Personal Data, will exercise vigilance to ensure that the principles, rights, guarantees and procedures provided for in the Law are respected in the Processing of personal data.

General questions

  • Are photos, videos, voice recordings and fingerprints personal data?

    In accordance with the provisions of article 5 of Law 1581 of 2012, biometric data are considered sensitive data.
  • Who is the Personal Data Protection Officer and how can I contact them?

    The Personal Data Protection Officer is Ingrid Paola Angel. She belongs to the Internal Audit team, and she can be contacted by email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , Ext. 4818.
  • Can I use all the personal data that is on the Internet?

    No, not all the data on the Internet are public, nor can they be used freely. The recommendation is to process them as sensitive data and to always request authorization from the Holder.
  • In which cases should e-mails be sent in mode "hidden copy" BCC?

    Emails containing personal data, sent to two or more people, must be
    sent in hidden copy” BBC.
  • For how many years is students' academic information kept?

    These provisions are given by the General Archive of the Nation and additionally by the protocols of the University. The time of conservation of academic information according to the above is 70 years.
    The file will be transferred from the management file to the central archive three (3) years after:
    . The student completes his studies (Graduate)
    . The student withdraws and does not return in that period of time (Retired)
    . The student is suspended from the University (Retired)
    . The TRD is applied for students called “Graduates.” In the case of those categorized as “Retired,” no documentary type will be deleted. The folder will be filed as indicated by the TRD, (Document Retention Table) without making any type of selection.
    . Retention Times: The time determined in the central file for records is precautionary and considers the time in which a student can achieve their graduation; being this of 20 years at least, in addition to their professional career, which can be 40 years; sufficient period of time to evidence and support their academic information.